Monday, August 31, 2009

Back to School

It's that time of year again. Where I stop and wonder what exactly happened to my summer and how is it almost September!?! This semesters return to classes seems much more painful then years past. I am so close to my degree I can taste it, yet my mindset couldn't be farther away. I blame it on Bali, even the slightest thought turns into fantasies of abandoning my life here to become a rice farmer, or fisherwomen.

Then I'm brought back to reality, and realize that time is passing much to quickly. Each day is filled with so much, so much to do, all the time. Time is moving faster then I could have ever imagined and although I try, it will not slow down for me.

When I look at the photograph below, time seems to stop.

I watched her as she carefully worked with two sticks and a net; gathering the small creatures as they attempted to dig deeper into the safety of the sand. I can smell the cool ocean air, feel the scattered water drops falling from the heavens, and hear the faint breaking of each wave on the sand. One photograph, thats all it takes.

The relationship between memory and photography allows us to construct and sustain our past. This is the great gift of photography. It's not that a moment in time is captured. It's that our mind is able to recall and feel details that would have been long forgotten without the reminder.

1 comment:

  1. That is such a beautiful image. You can feel the peacefulness of the moment! To live a simple life on a beautiful island would be delightful! RH

    ReplyDelete