Monday, August 24, 2009

Inspiration: Nature

I am not your average Southern Californian: I rarely go to the beach, I have ridiculously pale white skin, I've never surfed, and the taste of salt water makes me sick. I'm a mountain girl to the very core of my being. Not to say anything against beach dwellers, but my day at the beach usually ends with a sunburn and cold bottle of aloe vera gel. For as long as I can remember the forest has been my sanctuary. The one place I can go be totally alone, with only my thoughts, and leave feeling 100 times better!

Regardless of the location, most of my inspiration as a photographer comes from nature. So much of what I do involves observing the world around me and isolating one aspect to highlight. The autumn colors of falling leaves or the curve of a tree branch can blossom into a magical portrait setting. This is one of the main reasons that I am an on location photographer. It gives me the freedom to not only explore the natural world around me, but to highlight it in my photographs. I rarely ever photograph the same location twice allowing for each one of my sessions to be as unique as the people I'm working with.

Even when not photographing the bold and bright colors found in nature I search for them in even the most industrial areas. The response colors bring is very powerful, effecting us on both emotional and psychological levels. Take the image below. We have an overpowering influence of green with a hint of yellow. Green evoking growth, comfort and organic while yellow feels emotional, positive, with a touch of caution... very fitting!

"The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be and that God wishes to see people happy, amidst the simple beauty of nature." - Anne Frank


Although I no longer live in the mountains I carry the images and feelings of the forest with me wherever I go. I give the same care and detailed attention to photographing a person as I would the smallest flower. Nature is my ultimate inspiration, what's yours?

1 comment:

  1. Nature is a great inspiration of mine as well. The variety of colors, textures and patterns found in nature is amazing! RH

    ReplyDelete